Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tate and Lyle Championship



Last week we had the LPGA Futures Tour Championship. Its our only major and its our only 4 day event. It was located in Decatur, Illinois right near a soybean factory. Let me tell you, the smell is definitely different than what I'm used to! Although everyone around there says "its the smell of money". Since this is our major, Travis came up to caddie. I was excited to see him and spend 4 days with him since I'm traveling all summer. His family is from Southern Illinois so they got to come watch too so it was fun to hang out with them all week.
I think the rain stayed with us from Ohio because before we even stepped foot on the golf course for a practice round on Tuesday, a storm blew through and we had yet another rain delay. Last year this happened and the course completely flooded. Fortunately, this year it wasn't that bad. It was still wet but playable. I played with a great group of ladies in the Pro-Am on Wednesday.


The tournament started on Thursday and I couldn't get much going. I had 2 boggies (both 3 putts on par 5's) and 2 birdies. Well, this carried throughout the week. I couldn't make any birdie putts! Most of my birdie putts I had hit to less than 6 feet. I think I over analyzed the first 2 rounds and then it was stuck in my head that I couldn't make putts. I skimmed the cup on almost all of my putts but none of them would fall. I hit roughly 12-14 greens a day and had over 30 putts each day. It was really frustrating because the scores were so low but I just kept staying patient. I knew if I got ahead of myself, I wouldn't have made the cut. I shot 72-73-74-74 and finished in 60th place. Not my best week but I took several positives away from the week. I'm hitting the ball great and if I keep that up the putts will drop. My putting stroke was fine I just was misreading the greens. Travis decided I over analyze my putts and that whatever I read the first time, go with that and put a good stroke on the ball. It was nice to have him there to help me with what I can improve. Playing week to week, you start loosing concentration on your mechanics and routines. It was great for him to be there with me and keep me positive. I made some money and that's the important part to the end of the year money list. I dropped down to 11th but just barely out of the top 10. That's my goal and we are almost half way through the season so there is plenty of golf left! I'm taking the positives out of this week (it could have quickly gone the other way) and hopefully the results will show through in these next few tournaments.



Of course Travis and I wore matching Loudmouth on the last day! We got so many comments :)



This is my traveling buddy Alex! There is an article written about her on the LPGA Futures Tour website playing as an amateur so check it out: http://lpgafuturestour.com/content_1.aspx?pid=28634&mid=2

No comments:

Post a Comment